Saturday, February 16, 2013

ECHO Farm


ECHO was different than I expected, it was not as remote as I thought, and much more visited.  I thought that their mission of sending seeds to third world countries instead of sending food was excellent.  I thought that it was very cool that they trained Peace Corps volunteers and prepared them for their work with the limited resources in the countries in which they intend to serve.  It was way different than I expected.

The thing that stands out in my mind is the primitive tools and systems that they used.  The irrigation systems, the hay baler, the insecticide tree, and the planters made out of anything.  I also found it very interesting how they were able to grow food using a carpet and waste (corn cobs or pine cones).  I realize that this is to train the volunteers who will go on missions but it also taught me a lot.

American agriculture is very routine compared to ECHO Farm.  The sunken fields, raised fields, even plants grown on the top of a tripod are out of the norm for farming in America.  These examples are relevant to the developing world because sometimes they only have hillsides to plant on and need to have experienced agriculturists teach them how to use the land.  The soils in are not usually prime for farming and the water is at times contaminated, the farm gives hands on training to work around or even change those factors that prevent the hungry populations of our world to live healthier and provide nourishment for their families.

Appropriate Technology is the primitive systems that I found to be the most interesting part of the site.  It is using compost to create fertilizer and mulch for the farm, it is capturing rainwater in barrels, using the irrigation barrel in the fields, it is pumping water with a homemade water pump using everyday items, it is raising worms to aerate the soil, it is using the insecticide tree instead of pesticides, it is using minimal resources to maintain the farm.

I would be interested in performing my service learning there, the mission is great and it isn't a handout.  I think that the natural setting and all of the appropriate technology would lend a lot to learning.  I have seen what is on exhibit at the farm, it would be very interesting to work among those who work the mission.  However, I have already committed to helping out at The Burrowing Owl Festival.  If ever I have time to volunteer  I would definitely consider ECHO Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment